Visiting Hue in Vietnam is an unforgettable experience. As the former imperial capital and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hue is rich in history and culture. The city is situated along the banks of the Perfume River, with the Imperial Citadel and Forbidden Purple City located in the center. Surrounding Hue is breathtaking scenery – rivers, lakes, beaches, mountains, and rural villages.
The best way to fully explore Hue and its surroundings is by renting a motorbike. Motorbike rental allows you the freedom and flexibility to discover Hue at your own pace. You can venture off-the-beaten-path, traverse scenic mountain roads, stop whenever you please, and immerse yourself in Vietnam’s natural beauty. With this ultimate guide, you’ll learn everything you need to plan your Hue adventure by motorbike.
Benefits of Renting a Motorbike in Hue
Renting a motorbike while visiting Hue has many advantages over joining a group bus or car tour.
Freedom and Flexibility to Explore at Your Own Pace
With a rental motorbike, you can explore wherever you want, whenever you want. You aren’t limited by a tour group schedule or itinerary. Feel like stopping to enjoy a stunning view? Do it. Want to linger longer in a quaint village? Go for it. You have complete freedom to follow your own interests.
More Scenic and Thrilling than a Car/Bus Tour
Motorbikes allow you to traverse narrow mountain roads and winding coastal routes that are inaccessible by four-wheeled vehicles. You’ll be immersed in spectacular scenery as you cruise through pine forests, past emerald rice paddies, and around cliffside curves. The views and experience are far more scenic and adventurous than a bus tour.
Cost-Effective Way to Get Around
Renting a motorbike is an affordable means of transportation compared to hiring a private car and driver or booking group tours. The gas mileage is excellent, and rental rates are reasonable. For the solo traveler or couple, motorbike rental is a budget-friendly way to explore.
Things to Consider Before Renting
While motorbike rental provides an epic way to experience Hue, there are some important things to consider beforehand:
Traffic Rules and Regulations
Vietnam’s traffic system can be chaotic for first-timers. Be sure to learn the local traffic rules and etiquette before hitting the roads. Always drive defensively.
Insurance and Liability
Confirm what insurance coverage comes with your motorbike rental. Look into supplemental travel insurance to protect yourself further. Be aware of the liability you assume when operating a vehicle.
Safety Gear and Equipment
At minimum, always wear a helmet when riding a motorbike. Additional gear like gloves, jacket, pants, and boots is recommended for protection. Make sure to pack sunglasses and rain gear too.
Motorbike License Requirements
Most rental shops require an International Driving Permit (IDP) or valid motorbike license from your home country to legally drive in Vietnam. Obtain the proper licenses before your trip.
Check the forecast and avoid riding if extreme weather or low visibility is expected. Riding in heavy rain or fog can be hazardous.
Types of Motorbikes Available for Rent
There are a variety of motorbike models and styles to choose from when renting in Hue:
- Common models: Honda Win, Honda Blade, Yamaha Nouvo
- Transmission: Manual
- Engine size: 110-125cc
- Great for experienced riders seeking full control
- Common models: Honda Airblade, Yamaha Sirius, Suzuki Raider
- Transmission: Automatic or semi-auto
- Engine size: 110-150cc
- Ideal for novice riders
Engine Sizes and Models
- 50-110cc: Lightweight, good for new riders
- 110-125cc: Heavier and faster, good for 2 riders
- 150cc+: Powerful, suitable for long distances
Additional Features and Accessories
- Saddlebags/storage compartments
- Custom seats
- Bluetooth audio
- GPS device
- Extra fuel tank
Consider which features would enhance your rental experience.
Where to Rent Motorbikes in Hue
Hue offers many options when it comes to renting a motorbike:
Many hotels in Hue have motorbike rental services or partnerships with providers. This is a convenient option if you want rental delivery right to your hotel.
Motorbike Rental Shops
There are numerous motorbike rental stores scattered throughout the city. Ask your hotel or search online to find rental shops with good reviews and ratings.
Online Booking Platforms
Websites like VietnamMotorbikerental.com allow you to compare models, prices, and policies from various Hue rental companies. You can book online for added convenience.
Wherever you choose to rent from, inspect the motorbike thoroughly and take it for a test drive before committing.
Cost of Motorbike Rental in Hue
Motorbike rental rates in Hue are quite reasonable overall. Here’s what to expect:
- Manual bike: 100,000 – 150,000 VND ($4 – $7 USD) per day
- Scooter/automatic: 150,000 – 200,000 VND ($6 – $9 USD) per day
- Rates may be cheaper for weekly/monthly rentals
- Gas is around 28,000 VND ($1.20 USD) per liter
- Bikes get 50-60km per liter, so fuel costs are low
- Extra fees for helmets, luggage, cleaning, or damage
- Required deposit, returned if motorbike is unharmed
Shop around between rental companies to get the best deal. Always clarify included features and any hidden fees.
Top Places to Explore by Motorbike from Hue
The following destinations make for epic motorbike road trips from Hue:
Hai Van Pass
- Spectacular mountain road between Hue and Danang
- Stunning coastal vistas along the way
- Stop at Lang Co Beach for swimming
Lang Co Beach
- Pristine 10km beach with white sands
- Palm tree-lined shores
- Fresh seafood restaurants
Bach Ma National Park
- Lush mountain forests and hiking trails
- Cool climate providesrespite from heat
- Waterfalls and scenic viewpoints
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Home to world’s largest cave Son Doong Cave
- Jagged limestone peaks, rivers, jungle
DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)
- Former division between North and South Vietnam
- Iconic sites like Vinh Moc Tunnels and Khe Sanh Combat Base
- Insight into Vietnam War history
With a motorbike rental, all of these remarkable destinations are within your reach.
Safety Tips for Motorbike Rental
To stay safe while motorbiking in Vietnam:
Wear a Helmet and Protective Gear
- Always wear a quality helmet when riding. This is required by law.
- Jacket, pants, gloves, and boots help prevent road rash in a crash.
- Sunglasses keep bugs and debris out of your eyes.
Check the Motorbike Condition
- Inspect tires, brakes, lights, and throttle before setting off.
- Ensure mirrors are properly adjusted.
- Know where the headlights, signals, horn, and controls are.
Follow Traffic Rules
- Obey all traffic laws, signals, and speed limits. This helps avoid accidents.
- Stay alert and defensively avoid chaotic traffic behavior you’ll encounter.
- Ride in a predictable manner by using signals and staying in your lane.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Be extremely cautious of pedestrians, vehicles, and hazards entering the roadway.
Have Valid License and Paperwork
- Carry your International Drivers Permit and motorbike rental paperwork.
- This proves you legally can operate the vehicle if stopped by police.
Packing Tips for a Motorbike Tour
Proper attire and gear will keep you safe and comfortable on a motorbike trip.
Lightweight, Breathable Clothing
- Focus on clothes that dry quickly and cool you in humidity.
- Synthetic moisture-wicking shirts and shorts are ideal.
- Avoid cotton which stays damp and resists airflow.
Waterproof Layer for Rain
- Carry a compact rain jacket or poncho in case of sudden downpours.
- Waterproof overpants help keep your lower half dry.
- Choose shoes with ankle support, good soles, and protection for your feet.
- Boots prevent injuries from hot exhaust or debris kicked up while riding.
- Essential for protecting your eyes from sun glare, bugs, dirt, and wind.
- Make sure they fit securely under your helmet.
First Aid Kit
- Pack bandages, ointments, medications, etc. to treat minor scrapes and injuries you may encounter on the road.
To safely navigate Vietnam’s roads solo, it helps to have some tech assistance:
- Download offline maps like Google Maps to your phone before departing. This allows navigation without cellular data.
- Apps like Maps.me provide turn-by-turn voice directions anywhere. Works offline.
Recommended Motorcycle Routes
- Websites like VietnamCoracle.com detail epic riding routes with tips.
Local SIM Card
- Purchasing a local Vietnamese SIM card gives you cellular data access for maps/apps.
Having navigational aids and pre-planned routes enhances independence and prevents getting lost.
Lodging Recommendations for Overnight Trips
One of the best parts of motorbiking in Vietnam is the ability to take multi-day trips. Here are some lodging options along the way:
- Hotels of varying budgets can be found in most cities/towns. Book ahead for popular routes.
- Amenities like secure motorbike parking is preferable.
Homestays and Guesthouses
- For a cultural experience, stay in local homestays found in rural areas.
- Guesthouses are another simple lodging alternative.
- Camping allows you to get close to nature.
- Ask locally about suitable camping locations and regulations.
Research lodging choices along your intended route. Consider the distance you want to cover each day.
Food Recommendations for on the Road
One of the joys of motorbiking in Vietnam is sampling delicious local cuisine. Here are some tips:
Local Dishes to Try
- Pho – Noodles soups
- Banh mi – Baguette sandwiches
- Banh xeo – Sizzling pancakes with pork and shrimp
- Bun cha – Grilled pork with noodles and herbs
- Ca phe trung – Sweet egg coffee
- Small food stalls and truck stops offer cheap, authentic Vietnamese dishes.
- Great options when hunger strikes mid-journey!
Pack Snacks and Water
- Bring non-perishable snacks like protein bars, nuts, and fruit in case you’re far from any restaurants.
- Always carry plenty of bottled water to stay hydrated.
Part of the Vietnamese motorbiking experience is relishing tasty local cuisine along your route.
Staying Safe on the Road
While motorbiking allows wonderful freedom, safety should always come first:
Obey Speed Limits
- Resist the urge to speed, as this greatly increases accident risk.
- Allow ample time so you aren’t rushing to reach destinations.
Allow Plenty of Time
- Don’t try to pack too much into one day.
- Leave early and take frequent breaks to avoid rushing or fatigue.
Avoid Riding at Night
- Roads are more hazardous at night, especially with no streetlights on rural highways.
- Plan routes to reach your stop before dark.
Let Someone Know Your Route
- Provide your motorbike route and schedule to family/friends before departing.
- Check in with them periodically so they know you’re safe.
Carry Cash and ID
- Bring enough cash for fuel stops and expenses in remote areas without ATMs.
- Always have your passport, license, rental papers, etc in case you need identification.
Making smart decisions will help ensure your Vietnamese road trip is as safe as it is spectacular.
>>> Look into: Da Nang Motorbike Rental: Tips for an Unforgettable Experience
What to Do in Case of Breakdown or Accident
While you hope for an incident-free motorbike journey, it pays to be prepared if the unthinkable occurs:
Contact the Rental Company
- If your bike breaks down or is damaged, immediately inform the rental shop.
- Follow their protocol for how to get assistance and file a report.
Call Emergency Services If Needed
- If medical care is required due to injury, call emergency services right away.
- Have someone translate if there is a language barrier.
Use Motorbike Recovery Service
- Many rental companies offer breakdown recovery services which will transport you and the damaged bike.
- This saves you the hassle of repairs on the roadside.
Troubleshoot Minor Mechanical Issues
- For flat tires or other minor mishaps, use the provided tool kit to DIY roadside repairs when possible.
- Watch tutorial videos to learn basic motorbike repair skills.
Stay calm, use good judgment, and follow the rental company’s emergency procedures for the safest outcome.
Making the Most of Your Motorbike Tour
To ensure your Vietnamese road trip is everything you hoped for:
>>> Explore Further: Plan Your Hue Adventure with Motorbike Rental: The Ultimate Guide
Stop Frequently for Photos
- Don’t rush past incredible scenery – stop and capture photos to remember it.
Interact With Locals
- Chat with vendors and villagers along the way to gain local perspectives.
Immerse Yourself in the Landscape
- Pull over at pretty spots to fully soak in your surroundings. Listen to the quiet countryside.
Enjoy the Ride at Your Own Pace
- Don’t just zoom to the destination. Savor cruising Vietnam’s epic scenery at a relaxed tempo.
Following these tips will help you make the most of Vietnam’s magic. Your solo motorbike adventure will deliver lifelong memories.
A motorbike journey through Vietnam offers an unparalleled experience. The freedom to chart your own course leads you to places untouchable by bus or car. Renting a motorbike provides a budget-friendly means to explore at your own pace. With this comprehensive guide, you are now prepared to plan your own epic Hue motorbiking adventure. Just be sure to ride safely, respectfully and purposefully immerse yourself in Vietnam’s rich landscapes. The rewarding trip of a lifetime awaits!