Vietnam is a popular travel destination known for its stunning landscapes, mouth-watering cuisine, and fascinating culture. One of the best ways to explore Vietnam is by motorbike. Renting a motorbike offers travelers flexibility, freedom and fun as they cruise along scenic roads. With the wind in your hair and beautiful sights all around, riding a motorbike through Vietnam is an unforgettable experience.
If you’re planning a trip to Vietnam and want to rent a motorbike, this guide will provide useful tips to locate the perfect motorbike rental. We’ll cover key considerations when renting, popular rental spots, how to find reputable companies, what to ask, inspecting the motorbike, safety info and more. Read on to learn the best practices for an amazing motorbiking adventure in Vietnam!
Reasons to Rent a Motorbike in Vietnam
Renting a motorbike is highly recommended for travelers in Vietnam for these key benefits:
- Renting allows you to explore at your own pace without relying on public transportation or tours. You can stop wherever you want and change plans as needed.
- Go off the beaten track to see hidden gems. With a motorbike you can venture to more remote areas away from crowded tourist hotspots.
Enjoy Scenic Routes
- Cruising along coastal roads, through mountain valleys and rice paddy fields is an incredible way to experience Vietnam’s natural splendor.
Things to Consider When Renting a Motorbike
While renting a motorbike may seem straightforward, there are some important factors to consider:
- Many companies require an international drivers license to rent a motorbike over 50cc. Some may accept a license from your home country.
- Confirm the motorbike rental includes insurance. If not, purchase a separate travel insurance policy that covers motorbike accidents.
- Quality helmets and gloves should be provided. If not, bring your own for safety.
Properly addressing these aspects will ensure a smooth rental experience.
Popular Places to Rent Motorbikes in Vietnam
The top spots to rent motorbikes in Vietnam are located in the main tourist destinations:
- As the capital, Hanoi offers many motorbike rental shops. The Old Quarter is a convenient area to base yourself.
Ho Chi Minh City
- The economic center of Vietnam also has an abundance of rental options. Pham Ngu Lao is a good area to start.
>>> Additional information: Tips for Renting & Driving Motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh City as a First-Timer
- This historic city has lots of motorbike rental companies along the Perfume River.
- A charming coastal town with various shops renting motorbikes along the streets.
Wherever your travels take you in Vietnam, there will likely be rental shops available nearby.
Ways to Find Reputable Motorbike Rental Companies
With so many options, how do you find a trustworthy company? Here are helpful methods:
- Look for recent first-hand reviews detailing reliable companies with quality bikes.
- Aggregator sites like Kayak allow you to compare motorbike rental companies and read verified customer feedback.
- Ask your hotel or other travelers for referrals to rental companies they’ve used successfully.
Vetting companies through multiple sources helps avoid potential issues.
Questions to Ask the Rental Company
Before committing, inquire about these key aspects:
Condition of the Motorbike
- Ask how old the motorbike is and when it was last serviced. Newer bikes tend to be in better shape.
Included Safety Equipment
- Quality helmets, gloves, locks and other gear should be provided free of charge.
- Will the company cover maintenance costs if the motorbike has mechanical issues during the rental?
- Many companies require a monetary deposit that is refunded after the motorbike is returned safely. Know the amount before renting.
Getting clear answers to these questions gives peace of mind that you’re renting a well-maintained, safe motorbike.
>>> Recommendation: What Paperwork Do I Need to Rent a Motorbike in Vietnam?
Inspecting the Motorbike Thoroughly
Don’t just accept the first motorbike offered to you. Inspect it carefully before signing any paperwork:
Check the Tires, Brakes, and Other Components
- Look for proper tire pressure, tread depth, functioning brakes, no leaks etc. Test all the buttons and gears.
Take it for a Test Drive
- Ride around the block to check for smooth acceleration, braking, and handling.
Note any Existing Damage
- Make the company aware of scratches, dents or other issues so you are not held liable later.
A comprehensive inspection protects you in case of future problems.
Additional Tips for Renting a Motorbike
Keep these extra tips in mind for a smooth, enjoyable rental experience:
Negotiate the Price
- Don’t be afraid to politely ask for discounts, especially for longer rentals. The worst they can say is no.
Consider the Rental Duration
- Determine how many days you need the motorbike to avoid paying for unused time.
Read the Contract Carefully
- Know the rental terms, restrictions and payment schedule before signing anything.
Safety Tips for Riding a Motorbike in Vietnam
While an exciting way to explore, riding a motorbike in Vietnam requires extra caution:
>>> View Additional Content: What discounts are offered for weekly/monthly rentals in Vietnam?
- Vietnam’s roads can be chaotic. Anticipate and avoid dangerous driving from others.
Obey Traffic Laws
- Follow all speed limits and traffic rules to avoid accidents and fines.
Always Wear a Helmet and Gloves
- This is absolutely vital for preventing injuries in case of a crash.
Taking proper precautions will help ensure a safe motorbiking excursion.
Alternatives to Renting a Motorbike
If renting a motorbike seems too complicated or dangerous, consider these options instead:
Join a Motorbike Tour
- Guided group tours provide well-maintained bikes and remove the hassle of navigating solo.
Use Public Transportation
- Buses, trains, taxis and Grab offer simple ways to get around without a motorbike.
Rent a Car
- Hiring a car with a driver is safer and more comfortable for those without motorbike experience.
Don’t feel pressure to rent a motorbike just because it’s popular. Weigh your comfort level and transportation needs.
Packing List for Motorbiking in Vietnam
When renting and riding a motorbike through Vietnam, having the proper gear and clothing is essential for comfort, safety and convenience. Here are some key items to include in your packing list:
Motorbike Safety Equipment
- Helmet – Only use a quality helmet that fits correctly with chin strap. This is the most important piece of safety gear.
- Gloves – Look for leather motorcycle gloves with padded knuckles for protection.
- Jacket/Pants – Motorcycle leathers or abrasion-resistant jackets and pants help prevent road rash.
- Boots – Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear provides ankle support and prevents burns.
- Goggles – Eye protection from dust, bugs and debris while riding.
- Bungee cords – For strapping bags/luggage securely to the motorbike. Avoid loose items.
- Poncho – Useful during Vietnam’s rainy season. Opt for a lightweight and packable poncho.
- Small daypack – To carry essentials while riding. A hydration backpack with water bladder is ideal.
- Lightweight, breathable shirts and pants – Opt for sweat-wicking synthetics or cotton. Avoid restrictive jeans.
- Layering items – A lightweight jacket and long sleeve shirt for variable weather and temperatures.
- Comfortable walking shoes – For times off the motorbike exploring cities and towns on foot.
- Sandals – Easy to slip on when you reach a destination and want to give your feet a break.
- Copies of your license, passport, visa – Keep digital and paper copies in case the originals are lost/stolen.
- First aid kit – With disinfectant, bandages, medications, etc. for minor injuries.
- Snacks/energy bars – For fuel when riding long distances without a proper meal break.
- Water bottle – Stay hydrated, especially during hot weather.
- Ziplock bags – To protect electronics and documents from rain or spills.
- Wipes/hand sanitizer – For cleaning hands after dirty motorbike repairs or restroom breaks.
- Headlamp/flashlight – For navigating campsites or unlit areas at night.
Packing properly for your motorbiking trip allows you to travel as light and efficiently as possible while having everything you need. Adjust your packing list based on the season and your personal preferences.
Top Destinations to Explore by Motorbike
With endless options, here are some of the top destinations to experience by motorbike across Vietnam:
Hoi An to Hue
Ride over the Hai Van Pass along Vietnam’s central coast, with lush mountains on one side and clear blue waters on the other. Stop to admire rice paddies and fishing villages along the way.
Journey through mountains dotted with colorful hill tribe villages. The steep winding roads around Sapa provide quite an adrenaline rush.
Located in northern Vietnam near the Chinese border, the dramatic rocky cliffs and mountain vistas make for an epic ride.
Explore the intricate network of canals and rivers of the lush Mekong Delta. Experience regional floating markets and fruit orchards.
Dalat to Nha Trang
A beautiful ride through forests and farmland. Winding roads with gorgeous vistas around every turn.
Phong Nha National Park
Ride through jungle and limestone karsts to the world’s largest cave in Phong Nha. See Son Doong Cave if you can get a permit.
With so many amazing routes to experience, you could spend months motorbiking across Vietnam and still not see it all. Determine your must-see destinations and layout a strategic motorbiking route. Flexibility is the key to an unforgettable motorbiking adventure.
Renting a motorbike provides an adventurous way to explore the incredible sights and scenery of Vietnam. By finding a reputable company, inspecting the motorbike thoroughly and riding safely, your rental experience can be smooth and enjoyable. Utilize the tips in this guide to locate the perfect motorbike rental for cruising Vietnam’s open roads on an unforgettable trip. The freedom of charting your own journey by motorbike will create lifelong memories. Let the Vietnam motorbiking adventure begin!